With the festive season in full swing, it becomes extremely difficult to refrain from overindulgence in food. Festivities are an easy excuse for people to set aside there diet plan and gorge on delicacies that they otherwise tend to avoid. From roadside chat to home made puri kachori; relishing on boxes of sweets sent by friends and relatives and a cup of coffee with every guest dropping by – what more does one need to feel the cramps in stomach at the end of the day’s long celebration.
Unchecked and unhealthy eating habits during the festival season can, and in most cases do lead to food poisoning and disturbance in the bowels. Vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain or stomach cramps, a low-grade fever, headaches, and muscle aches are symptoms that one experiences with food poisoning.
Here are the top five easy and quick home remedies to get instant relief from food poising:
1. Ginger: Ginger is a well known remedy for various gastrointestinal distresses. Loaded with potent anti-inflammatory compounds ginger helps quell nausea and gastric distress. Chewing a piece of ginger tossed in honey helps relieve the severity of nausea. Ginger tea relieves stomach cramps and upset caused by food poisoning.
2. Cumin: Add a tablespoon of crushed cumin seeds to the soup to soothe the inflammation in your stomach. Crushed cumin with fenugreek powder mixed with a glass of water or half a cup crud helps relive abdominal pain and vomiting. Cumin seeds are of great benefit to the digestive system as they help stimulate the secretion of pancreatic enzymes, compounds necessary for proper digestion and nutrient assimilation.
3. Basil: Basil is another excellent home remedy to cure stomach infection due to its anti-bacterial properties.
Taking juice of basil leaves with water empty stomach in the morning enhances digestive power. Basil juice helps stop vomiting immediately. Strain the juice of a few basil leaves and add it to a tablespoon of honey to get instant relief.
Mix chopped basil leaves, sea salt and one shake of black pepper to three tablespoon of crud. Take the mixture three times in a day till you are totally cured of food poisoning. It will also cure any cramps or gas problem associated with food poisoning.
4. Lemon: The acidity of the lemon juice kills the micro-organism and toxins in the gastrointestinal tract.
Squeeze juice of a lemon and add a pinch of sugar to it and drink, or you can even add lemon to your tea.
Since fluid intake is very important as one tends to lose more water through diarrhea taking lemon juice in short intervals helps you keep hydrated.
5. Peppermint tea: Peppermint oil helps relieve symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, including indigestion, dyspepsia, and colonic muscle spasms. It is extremely beneficial for people suffering from stomach spasms due to food poisoning. Add a few drops to your tea; your cramps will vanish in a couple of hours.